Today’s Guest Blogger is Nicky, who tweets under the name Rocksstar10. She’s known in social media circles for her enthusiasm for technology, and passion for education and great music. She’s a 17 year old blogger from India who started TheNickyBlog. I am happy that she graciously allowed me to share her new post with my readers. This is a great piece below about using twitter to connect, and network, in the best way possible. Enjoy!
How To: Build Great Twitter Relationships
Twitter can be used in a number of ways. Some use it to promote, some use it to share, but, what I love the most about twitter is that one can make lifelong friends here. Yes, it is possible. The key is to build great relationships based on trust. There are people who haven’t met each other personally, but, still care for each other like best friends. I believe twitter relationships are no different than real ones. It takes the same effort from both sides. In this post I would like to discuss 10 ways to build awesome twitter friendships with your followers.
1. Don’t treat your followers as just followers: What I mean is, they are human beings and have feelings. They follow you because they like your tweets and find you interesting. [Except for the spammers of course]. I believe in addressing my followers as friends. Spend some time replying to them, retweeting them or even better, complimenting them. Compliments are great ice breakers. But be sure that you really mean what you say. Overdoing it can get you branded as a creep.
2. Be real: Just be you. People will love you for being you. In order to meet some like-minded people, you need to express your thoughts, your ideas and thinking. Twitter is all about expressing ourselves!
3. Shun Negativity: Choose to be positive all the time. Say hello to random people from your stream, say thank you when someone retweets you. The other person will definitely appreciate the gesture, and that could be the beginning of a new twitter friendship.
4. Encourage: There are a lot of tweeps who share personal details of their lives on twitter. Nothing wrong in that. Instead, it helps us know the person better. So if any person tweets about being sad, depressed, or is going through a bad patch, don’t forget to send out that encouraging tweet. It might seem like a small thing, but it makes a big difference.
5. Don’t insult: Yes, there are differences of opinion. That is bound to happen when so many minds collide. But know that whatever you tweet shows up in google search and STAYS THERE forever. Even after you delete it. You don’t want people to remember you in a bad light. Swearing or cursing is a bad idea. So, again, be positive spread positivity and do not insult or threaten fellow tweeters.
6. Trust is very important: DMs are used for long, private conversations. If it’s a DM, reply as a DM. Be a true twitter friend.
7. Ask questions: This is a great way to learn new things. There is always something to learn from each tweeter. Don’t hesitate to ask questions and get tips from experienced twitter veterans. I have done it and still do. Twitter never ceases to educate and we must make the most of it!
8. Take the initiative: You have to go out and socialize. Take the first step, the initiative. You will be surprised by the responses you get. You never know, you might meet some really great people in the process!
9. Share: Like someone’s tweet? Would like to share it with your followers? Then DO IT! Retweeting a form of appreciation and a way of showing twitter love. Twitter is equivalent to sharing and caring.
10. Respect: They say “If you expect respect, be the first to give it”. So true. You must follow those people who respect you for who YOU are, flaws and all.
Twitter relationships aren’t built in day. Of course, there are no specific “rules” to make great twitter friendships. But there are “ways” to do it. Finally, it’s only twitter and you’re here to have fun. Don’t forget to have a blast!